Re: [RP] Ratpoison and Xinerama

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] Ratpoison and Xinerama
Date: Tue Nov 25 12:23:08 2003

Quoth Cameron Patrick <address@hidden> on or about Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:17:13
+0800:
> I would really like to see decent Xinerama support in ratpoison.  At the
> moment I'm using an frestore command as described in the FAQ, which
> works, but isn't ideal.  The 'only' command should affect only the
> current monitor, and frames shouldn't be able to be removed/resized
> across monitor boundaries.

I think you and I are the only (RP) people that use xinerama.

Ahem.  RP is "The D.I.Y. WM": "you want it, you patch it".
(Maybe we should put that on the T-shirts :-)

I had another look at auto-xineraming last week, but there is a
problem getting dox.  The xinerama CVS on sf.net is only up to v2.0,
whereas my machine (xfree86 430) is using the *incompatible* 3.1.  Nor
does my Xinerama know about XQueryExtension, which means that RP will
crash if it tries to find xinerama and you don't have it.

I'd especially like it because I swap XF86Configs regularly
(e.g. incompatible xin & 3d-accel).

I am, however, totally *against* (always) preventing cross-head
windows.  Most of the time it's good, but sometimes it's bad.  Like
rat warp, I guess.

> It also makes my .ratpoisonrc rather
> 'unportable' to X sessions which aren't running at precisely the same
> resolutions as I am.  I'm thinking that hacking rp_screen structures to
> handle Xinerama screens would be the best way to achieve this.  This
> would cause problems with 'C-t f' no longer being able to select frames
> on another screen, though; likewise fdump/frestore, which is perhaps

Actually, Xinerama is currently incompatible with multiple independent
screens (IIRC).  Oh.  Er, ^K.

You can't easily base Xinerama heads on screens, because screens are
almost separate displays.  I'd rather not have xinerama code based on
screens because of the shortcomings that made me use xinerama in the
first place.

> worse. :-/  Another option would be to do everything through a bunch of
> external scripts, which is IMNSHO yucky.  Any other Xinerama-using
> people here got an opinion on the matter?
>
> BTW are there any Debian packages for ratpoison CVS?  I noticed that
> there's a debian/ directory in CVS, but it's very out of date.  I'm
> running my own packages based on the 1.2.1 debs.  If anyone else is
> interested I could probably put a bit of effort in and maintain
> unofficial packages for woody and sid.

How is it out of date?  Surely it's only debian/changelog that
*CHANGES*.  I don't have any problem debuilding from cvs (for sid)
after adding a dummy changelog entry.

incidentally, is it only me that didn't know about :shrink until
yesterday?

-trent

--
We are  indeed tight-assed  tyrannical bastards, but  we prefer  to be
referred to as Bastard Operators From  Hell, and we have had much more