Re: [RP] New windows appearing in empty frames. Intended?

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] New windows appearing in empty frames. Intended?
Date: Fri Mar 26 16:59:01 2004

Quoth "Bernhard R. Link" <address@hidden> on or about Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:33:02
+0100:
> I don't know if it is a bug or a feature. When a new window opens
> up and there is a empty frame around, it opens up there, changing
> which frame is active. While this can sometimes be usefull and I
> first considered it a feature, its annoying with notification windows,
> that appear for a few seconds and vanis then, as they either drag
> windows without frame in a frame they might not fit or leave with
> a blank frame activated.

It's a misfeature that was included at my suggestion over six months
ago.  IMO it is better than the previous setup (always open in the
focused frame), but it needs to be smarter.

Perhaps main windows should open in the (first empty frame||focused
frame), and transients always open in focused frame.  Of course, many
clients are inconsiderate fsckers and don't label their transients as
transients. :-(

`dedicated mode' at http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/Feature_Requests
also discusses changing frame / window associativity.

-trent