Re: [RP] 1.3.0 rc2 beta1 and Xinerama

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [RP] 1.3.0 rc2 beta1 and Xinerama
Date: Thu Apr 29 06:35:01 2004

Benjamin Reed wrote:

| ...and I would end up with konsole on one monitor and firefox on the
| other.  Now I get a horizontal split (huh?)

(Ratpoison recently corrected its notion of horizontal and vertical to
be in line with the rest of the world's.  I think... I've always had
problems coming to terms with which is supposed to mean what, myself.)

| and I seem to have no way to access the right-hand monitor.

That would be my fault ;-)  Ratpoison now understands that Xinerama
involves at least two separate monitors, and so Xinerama
configurations now behave in RP the same way as "traditional"
multi-head set-ups do, except that you can move windows from one
monitor to another.  It also makes things a heck of a lot easier when
you have >2 screens or screens with different resolution, whereas
previously you had to mess around with frestore and ended up with a
.ratpoisonrc that only worked properly on one particular machine.
Commands like "only" also behave as they should do under Xinerama now.

Anyway, you need to use the 'nextscreen' command to change to another
monitor.  Bind it to something useful and away you go.  In my
.ratpoisonrc, I use:

bind e nextscreen
bind C-e nextscreen
bind E prevscreen