Re: [RP] Re: base36 fselect

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: base36 fselect
Date: Thu Oct 7 13:24:01 2004

   > Really the only problem is that playing with the "top" keymap still
   > seems to cause X to freeze up for me.

   I think you have the same problem as me -- do you have a lot of
   bindings in top?  (I have about 80.)

I did, maybe 25 or 30.  I took them all out a couple months ago.

   Whatever is happening was causing the XFree86 process to jump from 2%
   CPU utilization to 100%, for several seconds, whenever a binding is
   pressed (any RP binding, not just top).

   Since this happens fairly infrequently (say, thrice a week) I haven't
   bothered to investigate further.

I didn't ever seem to see this problem after X's startup, but at
startup there was a huge lag time, similar to what you're
describing.  It happened predictably every time I started X (and at
that time I had to restart X a lot because I was losing my
connection to the server due to DHCP; this has since been fixed by
running xhost +.)

Actually, my comment about having X freeze up above may be
completely unrelated to "top".  I've been messing around with my
Xmodmap again, and somehow this was literally locking every button
on my computer except the power button (which I could use to escape
back to Aqua).

Let me give what I was trying to do with RP another whirl to
pinpoint that problem better.

In the mean time, I could try to provide info on the problems I see
with "top" at startup.  A recipe for obtaining good debugging
information would be helpful.

Joe

PS. Incidentally, I tried your tip about logging in as ">console" to
get rid of Aqua, and I wonder if you could tell me how to set the
default shell to tcsh instead of bash.  Also I'm a little curious to
know how I could get the Dvorak keyboard layout (which is active at
the graphical login box) to be active at the text login.