Re: [RP] autotools out of date

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] autotools out of date
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:52:10 +0100

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 13:21 -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:06:09PM -0800, Shawn Betts wrote:
> >> Maybe in the next release those could be stripped out?  I'm back in
> >> production mode, so if you make a release, I can have it up very
> >> shortly.  I finally made all my Debian packages lintian compliant.
> >
> >I think the Proper Solution is for me to build the dists using up to
> >date tools or for you to build them out of CVS using the version tags.
>
> So it is important for source tarballs to have the config.sub and
> config.guess files in them?

Yes. The whole purpose of the autotools is that the user who builds the
software package does not need to have the autotools installed.

config.sub is essential, config.guess is highly recommended (when
configure gets called with proper --host and --build options,
config.guess is not needed; a normal ./configure needs it, though)

Shawn: The easiest thing would be to grab config.guess and config.sub
from savannah CVS, and use those - no need to refresh the whole
autotools suite for only this, methinks. (though, it might be a good
idea :)

--
Gergely Nagy