Re: [RP] Xinerama question

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] Xinerama question
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:19:49 +0200

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:11:42PM +0200, Grégoire Favre wrote:
> I have tried to instruct ratpoisson to not use the second screen at all,
> but didn't managed it : is there a way to do it ?
> It was specially annoying with xine and firefox...

I've never used Xinerama so my reply might be completely bogus...

Could this be what you want?

       -s, --screen number
              Only use the specified screen.

There is something in the FAQ about Xinerama too.

"
** Xinerama doesn't work well with ratpoison.
If you have 2 monitors that have different dimensions, then problems
can arise. You've probably noticed ratpoison disregards the dead space
on your setup. To get around this you can use the 'frestore' command
to fool ratpoison into avoiding the dead space.

Say you have one monitor at 640x480 and another one at 1024x768. The
smaller monitor occupies 0-639 horizontally and 0 480 vertically. the
bigger one occupies 640-1663 horizontally and 0-768 vertically.

+----------+--------------+
|          |              |
|          |              |
|  640x480 |    1024x768  |
|          |              |
|          |              |
|          |              |
+----------+              |
|          |              |
|dead space|              |
+----------+--------------+

In your .ratpoisonrc, add this line:

frestore 0 0 0 640 480 0 0,1 640 0 1024 768 0 0

Now you have 2 frames one occupying the first monitor and 1 occupying
the second one. The problem arises when you run the command 'only'
(bound to C-t Q), which removes all the frames and creates one big
one. Then your nice frames will disappear. You can rebind C-t Q to the
above command:

bind Q frestore 0 0 0 640 480 0 0,1 640 0 1024 768 0 0

You'll notice the only problem with this is that the frames won't have
any windows in them. Writing a script to extract the current window
and place it in one of the frames is an exercise left to the user.

Note: I don't use Xinerama and haven't verified that this works. But
I'm confident that it would.
"

Hope it helps. (:

Otherwise please write back.