escaped escape (was Re: [RP] Using q as ratpoison escape character disab

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: escaped escape (was Re: [RP] Using q as ratpoison escape character disables <ctrl+q>) (<ctrl+q>+q)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:57:52 -0500

   I'm using ratpoison with a .ratpoisonrc file starting with:
   escape C-q

   When I hit <ctrl+s> in a terminal to stop the flow, I cannot use
   <ctrl+q> to start it again. This is the same as <ctrl+t> with the
   classic ratpoison escape character.
   To allow the use of <ctrl+t> in a classic ratpoison configuration, one
   should use <ctrl+t>+t. So I tried to do the same for <ctrl+q> and I hit
   <ctrl+q>+q but the terminal flow is still blocked.

I don't think changing the escape key creates the "escaped escape"
binding by default.

But there is at least one work-around: in the latest ratpoison, bind
"q" to "meta C-q".  Henceforth C-q q in RP will send C-q to the window
you're currently using.  I assume that just binding to "meta" would
work too (though the documentation could probably be a bit clearer on
that point).

,----
|  -- Command: meta KEY
|      KEY is an optional argument. When KEY is omitted, send a `C-t' to
|      the current window. Otherwise, send the key described by KEY to
|      the current window.
|
|      For example, if your `Emacs' window is focused,
|
|           meta M-x
|
|      Would cause emacs to prompt for an extended command.
`----

Joe

PS.  BTW, your original subject line is very misleading.  I thought
when I saw it that you were using "q" as the escape character, which
would have been weird.  But you _aren't_, clearly.