[RP] Best WM ever

From: Aaron Griffin
Subject: [RP] Best WM ever
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:28:15 -0500

Ok all,
Just thought I'd introduce myself and throw a little background out there...

Over the years I've been getting more and more minimialist in my WM
needs.  Recently I was using WMI, and followed WMII's development
closely.  The problem is that WMII has strayed from what I was looking
for... so I began looking around.  I tried some things (aewm, lwm, et
al) and wasn't that happy.  Then I recalled ratpoison.  I remember
trying ratpoison a few years ago, and it was cool, but it didn't
strike me... that was before I understood the power of screen.

Recently I tried RP again, this time knowing what to do, and I must
say, it's the greatest invention since fire 8)
- - - - - - - - -
Ok, that said, I have some questions for you pros out there.
screen/RP key strokes are generally made with emacs users in mind.
The problem is, I'm a vim user, and I don't like keychords...
It wouldn't be hard to make some minor scripts to use vim-type
keybindings and modes, but I want to know if anyone has tried this
before (don't want to duplicate it).
My general idea is that a "mode" is represented by a single file, of
key/action pairs, the .ratpoisonrc defines keypresses for each mode.
When a mode is switched to, the current mode file is looped through,
and "undefinekey top" is run for each row, then "definekey top" is run
for the new mode... this way I don't need any goofy emacs keychains
(heh).

Does anyone have any opinions on this? (Can something like this be
done for screen as well? I don't think so... I set "escape \\\\" for
screen, to make it slightly more vim-like, ala the "leader" setting)

Thanks for any and all input,
Aaron Griffin <phrakture>