Re: [RP] Hook for renaming new window

From: Nazri Ramliy
Subject: Re: [RP] Hook for renaming new window
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:34:57 +0800

On 7/12/05, Kevin Geiss <address@hidden> wrote:
> you might want to check out an ancient tool called 'xtoolwait'.

Thanks for mentioning this neat tool.

When I started using ratpoison I struggled with trying to fix a
certain xterm window with a specified pty.

The way I use these xterms is that I have about 7 fixed (started
everytime I start X) xterms that I just set their names to be  L R M G
D A B, and I use Alt+L, Alt+R etc to give focus to them using
xbindkeys.  Sometime I wanted to gain focus to whichever xterm that
has its pty linked to, say, /dev/pty/3 by just hitting Alt+3 (normally
I did this after forgetting which xterm I ran that vi session, so from
another xterm I do a ps and look for vi and take note of the pty it's
on).

The way I started these xterms are through a for loop that go through
each of the L R M G D A B title and in each iteration it spawns an
xterm in the background, so there's no fixed order on which xterm will
grab a certain pty, all are based on their luck at getting to the CPU
cycle.  I made a workaround for this by putting something in my .zshrc
to announce on which pty it is running on (save the output to some tmp
file).

Now with xtoolwait I no longer have to use that workaround.  Each
xterm started will get ptys assigned to them sequentially based on
which one I chose to start first.

Thanks.

Nazri.