Re: [RP] is this against the philosophy?

From: Aaron Griffin
Subject: Re: [RP] is this against the philosophy?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:59:56 -0600

On 2/3/06, Mark Eichin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since ratpoison gets transients right (popups look like popups, mostly
> I care about this for firefox alert() and error dialogs), the only use
> I have for non-full-size windows is that some things (usually gnome
> configuration panels) are bigger than the screen, and I can't get to
> the OK/Cancel buttons at the bottom [for some reason I fail at tabbing
> to them] -- and I'd probably win if I could just move the window so
> the lower right corner was in the lower right corner of the screen (so
> the origin was offscreen).  Not sure if your size functions would help

Hmm, I've never had any problem with bigger-than-the-window dialogs...
though there's a firefox master-password plugin that has problems when
fullscreened - can't recall the issue though.

On 2/3/06, Trent Buck <address@hidden> wrote:
> All these solutions suck for the same reason -- they are not completely
> automatic.  The reason I prefer the :[ic]{next,prev,other} commands to
> "virtual
> desktops" is because the former groups windows automatically, whereas virtual
> desktops require the user to explicitly manage groups.  The reason I like
> tiling WMs is because the user doesn't have to manually place windows.

Yes, I agree with what you're saying.  But, for me, it's much more
useful to me to at least attempt to fix something than to be stubborn
about it (not saying you are - don't take that to be insulting) and
say "you fix it".

> The fact is that it is the clients' fault.  Categorically.  If we try to work
> around their fuckups, they will continue to make fuckups.  The reason there
> are
> so many dodgy HTML pages is because the browsers are forgiving about policy
> violations.  We shouldn't be forgiving.  We should fix the clients, or
> harangue
> the developers to fix them.

I agree, but you kinda always have to assume there will be at least
one fuckup.  The sheer number of broken clients, and the push towards
the non-managing window manager doesn't help out cause much.  I mean,
there's alot of high-profile applications which are broken to
tiling-wm users, but we're a small majority.

Inkscape property dialogs have no max size hints - boom, full screen.
Gimp has it's jillion windows - suckage.
Firefox has just about everything full screen.
Worst of all? Xine error dialogs, which tile across the screen when resized.

It's like a never ending battle.

> bt is easy to fix -- just run the curses version in an xvt :-)

Bah, sure that works, but I just like the gtk version better - I never
need to ssh in to check my bt progress anyway 8)

Seeing as this idea seems kind of bunk, can we roll with this in
anyway?  While Trent prefers to have the applications fix themselves,
I, myself would rather have the *option* of a blanket-fix.  Any
additional ideas?

Would it be possible to say "windows spawned by a non-transient parent
are auto-transient"?  Would that be fair?  What applications would
this break, if any?

Thanks for the lively discussion!
Aaron