Re: [RP] sparc segfault on startup with version 1.4.0

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] sparc segfault on startup with version 1.4.0
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:36:28 -0400

"Michael Graham" <address@hidden> writes:

> With the above patch I'm now getting what I think is my original bug.
> Switching to a workspace that doesn't exist causes a crash. I presume
> this happens whenever I try a command that isn't bound to anything but
> in this case I'm doing C-t F7 to switch to the none existant workspace
> 7.

> Here is the backtrace:
>
> #0  0xff0b3218 in strlen () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #1  0xff1065a0 in _doprnt () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #2  0xff1089a8 in vsnprintf () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
> #3  0x35d04 in xvsprintf (fmt=0x41d80 "%s", ap=0xffbee37c) at main.c:122
> #4  0x19690 in cmdret_new (success=1, fmt=0x41d80 "%s") at actions.c:753
> #5  0x220f8 in cmd_getenv (interactive=0, args=0x6e6c0) at actions.c:3752

I've patch the getenv to return "" when the env var doesn't
exist. Hopefully this will fix the crash.

I've also fixed the 2 spots I found debug output was printing
NULL. There may be more. So theoretically you should be able to run
ratpoison in debug mode from now on. I'll continue monitoring my log
for nulls (it just prints null for me) and fix them if I see any.

Let me know if you encounter more crashes.

-Shawn