Re: [RP] Changing window numbers

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Changing window numbers
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:49:53 -0400

Daniel Webb <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't quite figured out the :number command.  I was able to change a
> window's number once (from 1 to 4), but now I can't change it to anything.
> I'm using the same command I used the first time (C-t :number <new number>).

from the manual:

@deffn Command number @var{n} @var{target}
Set a window's number to @var{n}. If another window occupies the
requested number already, then the windows' numbers are swapped.

The second argument, @var{target}, is optional. It should be the
number of the window whose number will be changed. If @var{target} is
omitted ratpoison defaults to the current window.

Does this shed light on the command?

> How do people use ratpoison?  I was thinking I want the same program to always
> be the same number so I can just C-t <number> without all this window menu
> nonsense.  If I wanted window menus I'd just keep using KDE!

That's a good point. I find myself doing this as well. emacs is window
0, conkeror window 1 and then everything else after that. Luckily
those windows never leave so i dont mind setting the windows when i
start up. Something that perhaps maps a window to a number would be
quite useful.

I can imagine a script that you run on the newwindow hook doing such a
thing. Uh..that script is left as an exercise for the reader :).

You may also be interested in the C-t ' binding (bound to select)
which matches the beginning of the window name. I use it to quickly
switch to emacs mostly:

C-t ' em RET

I also have this in my .ratpoisonrc:

set winname class

it sometimes helps to sane-ify window names.

-Shawn