Re: [RP] Script Won't Run From Ratpoisonrc --solved

From: TBlittlefoot
Subject: Re: [RP] Script Won't Run From Ratpoisonrc --solved
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:49:38 -0800

See script below.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 04:41:20AM -0800, TBlittlefoot wrote:
> At the end of my ~/.ratpoisonrc, I have these lines:
>
> exec rpws -i
> exec rpws -b
>
> exec rpws-screen.sh
>
> ------------------------
>
> rpws-screen.sh has the same permissions and ownership and
> is in the same directory in my PATH as rpws
>
> If I run it manually after RP is up and running, there is no
> problem.
>
> What's going on? It doesn't seem to run at all.
>
> The script sets up a screen-like bar (in a one-line deep frame) running the
> time and listing
> the output of ratpoison -c windows. Border is set to 0 and the bar has a
> brown backgroupnd and
> white characters.
>
> ##!/bin/sh
> #

  # rpws 1  # apparently, the switch in focus to ws1 is something done by RP
after the rc file
            # has run. See below for the rest of the details about this simple
workspace.

> #rp=/usr/local/bin/ratpoison
> #
> #RP_call ()
> #{
> #    $rp -c "$*"
> #}
> #
> #
> ## set up the screen bar
> #
> #RP_call select 1
> #RP_call split 750
> #RP_call shrink
> #
> #RP_call focusdown
> #
> #RP_call select 0
> #
> #RP_call focusup
> #
> #RP_call select 5
> #
> #exit 0

(Got a private mail about the line of "#" down the left margin where the script
is.
This preserves formatting and prevents any filters from 'thinking' that you are
trying to run an executable on the server or someone's home OS.)

My ~/.ratpoisonrc:

#set border 0
#set winfmt %n%s%10t
#defwinliststyle column
#unbind c
#bind c exec rxvt -title X -ls -bg white -sl 300 +sb -C
#addhook key banish
#set bargravity SE
#msgwait 3
#
##disable wasted scrollback memory; get rid of scrollbar; makee cursor
invisible by giving it
##same color as backgroound;  get rid of prompt
#exec  rxvt -sl 0  +sb -bg brown -fg white -cr brown -title a -e /bin/sh -c
"PS1=''; watch -t -n 1 rpscreenbar.sh
#exec rxvt -ls -title b -bg white -cr brown -sl 300 +sb -C
#exec rxvt -ls -title c -bg white -cr brown -sl 300 +sb -C
#exec rxvt -ls -title d -bg white -cr brown -sl 300 +sb -C
#exec rxvt -ls -title e -bg white -cr brown -sl 300 +sb -C
##just a file with a simple calendar at the top from cal
#exec  rxvt -sl 0 +sb -cr brown -title f -e /bin/sh -c "PS1=''; less -c
/root/.calendar"
#
#exec rpws -i
#exec rpws -b
#
#exec rpws-screen.sh

rpscreenbar.sh:

##!/bin/sh
#echo -n "`date +%T` "
#ratpoison -c windows | xargs  echo -n

Thanks to what must be Shawn's ingenious and mysterious "window classes",
unless you specifically
choose window 0 with select or fselect, it is out of the loop. The 'screen bar"
is there under every
window, even with apps like firefox.

It looks like this, with a brown background and white characters, updated once
a second:

16:49:20 0-a 1*b 2-c 3+d 4-e 5-f 6-Mozilla Fi

Tom