Re: [RP] select patch

From: Johannes Altmanninger
Subject: Re: [RP] select patch
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 20:12:35 +0200

On 06/19/2014 03:47 PM, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
* Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> [140618 20:52]:
    - Using raw strcmp() isn't a very good idea -- if one of the strings is
    not null-terminated, you introduce a subtle bug.  Prefer instead strncmp()
    and strnlen().  This requires defining some reasonable upper limit on
    window names, of course.
I have to disagree quite vehemently here. Either things are
null-terminated or they are not.
If they are then introducing a limit where there is not can only
produce bugs (subtle and non-subtle).
If they are not then most of the time things starting with str* are
usually the wrong tools anyway.

        Bernhard R. Link
In this case strncmp() is practical because I do not have to
write two different blocks for full match and prefix match (atleast until I have figured out function pointers). strncmp() seems to be safe with a reasonable limit (it stops comparing after n bytes as far as I know)
strnlen() seems unnecessary as the whole program uses strlen()