Re: [RP] Ratpoison losing input focus after fullscreen

From: Martin Steer
Subject: Re: [RP] Ratpoison losing input focus after fullscreen
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:48:24 +1100

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:23:22PM +0100, Thomas Kreuzer wrote:

I have a question regarding ratpoison and its input focus policy.
When I use a program in fullscreen mode ratpoison loses keyboard control and I am unable to do anything at all.

I.e. if I run ratpoison with KODI (formerly XBMC) I can't use my keyboard at all in KODI (since v14 KODI only gets keyboard events when focused, it used to work before).

If I run retroarch in fullscreen mode, I can use my keyboard, but after I quit it, ratpoison is rendered unusable because now raptpoison seems to have lost focus, and doesn't take any keyboard events anymore.

I think ratpoison does not retake the application focus from X, and my question is: Is this a bug or a feature? :D

I see what seems to be the same behaviour with pysolfc, a tk/python app
I sometimes use, but shouldn't. When I quit pysol, the cursor warps off
the screen (I have 'addhook key banish' set), and I'm dead. If there's
something else in the frame, I can use a mouse to regain focus,
otherwise there seems to be no way to recover short of killing X.

Under other circumstances, a blank frame is not a problem.

I have ratpoison 1.4.8, but this bug has been around for a long time.

M.