Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.9 has been released

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison-1.4.9 has been released
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 08:54:33 +0100

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 14:21, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

[...]

> That's likely.  The code that used to support xinerama was removed and
> replaced by the xrandr code.  At that time I had no objection regarding
> this, as xrandr seemed supported by most drivers.

[...]

> First I think we could try to understand why xrandr isn't working on
> your nouveau setup:

Okay, a summary of my findings this morning:

v1.4.9 works fine with nouveau with two of my monitors which are both
driven by a single card. However, my actual hardware setup consists of
two graphics cards driving three screens (the third being a wall mounted
60" display).  For this configuration, according to the documentation,
nouveau requires the use of xinerama *if* there is more than one
graphics card and if one wants to use a single X server.  If xinerama is
not used and no explicit configuration is given, only the first graphics
card is found.  If I configure the individual screens in xorg.conf, this
leads to a multi-server setup and then ratpoison only finds the first
server.

The interesting thing is that v1.4.8 worked with the server per screen
configuration but v1.4.9 does not as far as I can tell.

I hope the above makes sense.  And, of course, I may have missed a
trivial solution to this problem so please do not hesitate to point this
out!

thanks,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)