repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Signing up without reCAPTCHA

From: Thomas Levine
Subject: Re: Signing up without reCAPTCHA
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 02:24:58 +0000

Thomas Levine writes:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> Is it possible to sign up to gitlab.com (not self-hosted) without
> conducting reCAPTCHA? If yes, please send me documentation on this,
> as I did not manage to find any.
>
> If not, I recommend that you change things so that one can sign up
> without proprietary JavaScript, as I imagine it is one of very few
> places where you use proprietary JavaScript.
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Thomas Levine

Dear colleagues,

I recently tried again to register for GitLab. Unfortunately,
I still cannot register. I tried multiple times with LibreJS
enabled and saw two sorts of messages. They are attached
as "captcha.png" and "recaptcha.png".

You may relate this to a reCAPTCHA discussion that may be available
on this webpage.
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/-/issues/46548

I recall that I could read the above-linked discussion two years ago,
but now I can't, (See "issues.png".) so this could be a regression.
If this webpage now works only when JavaScript is run, perhaps you could
annotate the JavaScript so LibreJS recognizes it as free software?

Cordially,
Thomas Levine