repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Hello?

From: Bert Van de Poel
Subject: Re: Hello?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:47:13 +0200

It's been argued several times within this mailing list that the distinction should be made between GitLab as software (which people can self-host with several different settings) and GitLab.com as a service. Several list members have requested to change GitLab to GitLab.com on https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html (and there was agreement on that, I believe), but I'm not sure whether the decision ever ended up with someone with edit permissions or commit access on the page (I'm not sure whether it's version tracked or just a static page on some FTP).

On 7/04/2021 06:58, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > I verified that it now includes nonfree javascript in the main
   > website. I could tell there was nonfree javascript by going to a site
   > that runs a free version of gitlab, then looking for differences in the
   > javascript and pages as those on gitlab.com.

Thanks.

   >  So, it's clear that we should move it
   > down.

Yes.  But this suggests that we should emphasize the difference
between using gitlab.com and setting up your own repo using the
released libre Gitlab software.