repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Hello?

From: Bert Van de Poel
Subject: Re: Hello?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 11:34:47 +0200

I presume you mean https://about.gitlab.com/ linked on the login page in the footer? While it does mention commercial offerings quite prominently, when you ask for the "FREE" option, self-hosted is just as prominent as SaaS in my opinion. Beyond that, this committe hasn't been able to pass evaluation of any foundry instances for years according to https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html (but tried several times, I remember participating in discussions). While I agree we should at some point talk about software, we should really first focus on getting the foundries listed on that page updated, and getting new relevant foundries like sr.ht and notabug.org listed.

I would also like to stress that everyone (me included) seems to have developed a tendency of discussing things in these threads that go way beyond the email subject that was set. This I think makes it hard for some to follow the information being discussed, as well as to search through the archives in the future to find out why we decided something and what arguments we considered. I would therefore suggest we all make an extra effort to not discuss one foundry or piece of software in the thread about another, and to start new threads when necessary. Of course, if others here prefer the fluent but chaotic situation we're currently in, then I'm also fine following the majority (if there is one, which I doubt).