repo-criteria-discuss

Re: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 22:00:20 -0700

Watcom, not Watfor

And to be clear, OSI lists that in the "non-reusable" licenses, as in
they aren't general licenses that anyone but the original authors use.

Similarly the other "reciprocal" ones that do not allow modifications to
be private should never have been approved. Thankfully, I don't think
they are used in practice. They seem to all be in the OSI's list of
superseded or deprecated or similar.

So, in practice OSI-approved is not strictly adequate but it appears
that 100% of the actual licenses ever used on a site like Sourceforge
are all truly free software licenses.

How much do we care about this distinction? In contrast to other hosts
that actually host non-free-software, Sourceforge's OSI-approved
requirement has led in practice to be effectively a
free-software-requirement. I'm not aware of any actual use of the
obscure non-free OSI-approved licenses for current software.

Of course, the OSI could approve of new non-free licenses, and that
would be an additional and more serious problem.