repo-criteria-discuss

Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?

From: Pau Amma
Subject: Re: You rate savannah.gnu.org at A? AYFKM?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 01:41:09 +0000

Coming back to this after a few very busy weeks.

On 2022-03-07 21:34, S T wrote:
Hi Pau

In case you're not the same person I already told this: My name is Pau Amma, not what you wrote. See
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/
items 5, 19, and 20. (If you *are* that same person, you may want to ask yourself why you keep doing that after being asked not to.)

The free software movement is a campaign for a moral goal:

No. As long as you consider it acceptable to throw some people under the bus, as long as you call not doing that a "feature", your goal, whatever else it may be, is *not* moral and will never be, repeated claims to the
contrary notwithstanding.
What people under the bus?

I answered that already, in my Feb 28 email. Relevant excerpt below:
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html clearly states "The criteria emphasize [...] not rejecting any users." Without accessibility, you *are* rejecting users, which is in direct violation of your own criteria. Not owning to that is hypocrisy.

to end an injustice.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" (Martin Luther
King). Since you consider acceptable to perpetuate an injustice (and
arguably reinforce it, by giving it another stronghold), your approach
is flawed to the core, and you're defending the indefensible.
What injustice?

The injustice I was referring to is the ableism the FSF is excusing or encouraging (not sure which) in others by not demanding full accessibility as a precondition to an "acceptable" repository evaluation and committing itself (see below).

Then, since you happily ignore and perpetuate one wrong while claiming
to fight to end another, you're not fighting to end wrongs, plural. That
would mean your own goal is not a moral one.
What is being ignored?

See above.

Yes, software (like websites) that gives certain people, like the FSF,
power over the users, by letting it selectively deny access to some of
us (aka, people with disabilities), is indeed a matter of good vs. evil.

Pau, since when is FSF website  unfriendly toward people with
disabilities? I find it more useable than many other websites.

That's only tangentially related to the FSF criteria for evaluating repositories RMS and I were discussing, but https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/take-the-next-step-in-living-liberation-watch-the-libreplanet-2022-videos-today (byline is "Free Software Foundation" linking to a page for "staff and board of directors of the Free Software Foundation") links to a number of videos as "picks". Of the first 5 (all I looked at) none had a text transcript or a text copy of the slides in prominent evidence. That's one example I was able to spot in under 5 minutes on the FSF website. But if you want a complete, detailed evaluation, you should ask WebAIM or another accessibility expert group for a quote. See https://webaim.org/services/evaluation/ or https://webaim.org/services/certification/.

(In addition, "more useable than many other websites" is setting the bar very low.)

--
#BlackLivesMatter #TransWomenAreWomen #AccessibilityMatters #StandWithUkrainians
English: he/him/his (singular they/them/their/theirs OK)