reproduce-devel

[task #15772] R (r-cran) packages in Maneage

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15772] R (r-cran) packages in Maneage
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:26:25 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #14, task #15772 (project reproduce):

[comment #11 comment #11:]
> Today, I also tried both of them again (from scratch) and again there was no
problem.

The bug is now explained. To reproduce the bug:

First revert to the older version of icu (67.1):

git checkout R_4.1.2_minor_fixes # commit 64437d7
rm -f .build/software/installed/lib/libicu*
rm .local/version-info/proglib/icu-* .local/version-info/proglib/r-cran-*
.local/version-info/r-cran/*

TODO by hand: enable top-level-r-cran    = r-cran-cowplot r-cran-gridExtra in
TARGETS.conf

./project config --existing-conf

and then try upgrading without removing the old libraries:

git stash
git checkout version-update # commit 64deae4
git stash pop # enable top-level-r-cran    = r-cran-cowplot r-cran-gridExtra
in TARGETS.conf

This should reproduce the upgrade bug - similar to
https://paste.debian.net/1225582

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

There's a old discussion of a similar error in ICU bug reports [1]. However,
removing an old install by hand will not prevent the error for someone who
upgrades in the future.

Adding in 'make clean' in 'high-level.mk' does not solve the bug. The probable
reason is that 'make clean' only removes libraries in the 'icu' build
directories, but not from the Maneage 'lib' install directory.

I'm not sure what the cleanest solution would be, because we haven't seen this
bug in other packages, as far as I know.

I've proposed commit 7f5ac28 that branches off _version-update_ [2]. This does
a fairly specific set of =rm= commands to minimise the chance of removing a
future library such as, e.g. 'icube' that starts with the same three letters.

What is clearly *not* a solution would be to say that people always have to
install from scratch. There is no justification in increasing the CO_2
footprint when an efficient solution is known.

[1] https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-20930

[2]
https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/7f5ac283826b6e254d913b83a808025ee2b70938

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15772>