Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Fwd: Licence question.

From: Steven Robson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Fwd: Licence question.
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:13:25 +0100

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 16:48, Sebastian Wieseler wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:07:23AM +0200, tizzef @ gmail wrote:
> > Does anybody could help me to know if this licence
> > (http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html) is or not
> > compatible with the GNU GPL ??
>
> The license contains the "Berkeley-based copyright" so it's GPL compatible
> like the BSD license itself...
>
> Hope that helps
> Sebastian Wieseler

No, it's not. The license contains one term which makes it incompatible with
the GNU GPL. The last clause.

"You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed or intended for
use in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
facility."

This breaks freedom zero, the freedom to run the program for any purpose. The
software is not usable in a nuclear facility.

Software licenced under this licence is _not_ GNU GPL compatible.

Cheers,

Steven