Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: CVS server clogged up

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: CVS server clogged up
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:58:49 +0200

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:31:41AM +0200, Steve White wrote:
> All,
>
> We still haven't heard from the sysadmins:

The sysadmins are the people who answered you :)

> Were there many commits during the time I reported the CVS server
> being unresponsive?

I didn't check each and every CVSROOT/history files (I have no clue
how to process them either), but I checked the sshd logs, and they are
continuous connections from 4 to 5 April, which is the period you
reported as unreachable.

You can also witness commits in that period at:
http://cvs.sv.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog?root=emacs&view=log

The main indicator though is that nobody else complained. Usually we
receive several complaints on the mailing lists and on the IRC
channel, even sometimes when I reboot the computer.

> I am willing to accept that something weird and inexplicable is
> happening between here and there, but given that all indications are
> that my internet connections were working at top condition, the
> easiest explanation is that something was wrong with your server.
>
> Show us that there were numerous commits from other people during this
> time, and I'll concede.

Hopefully I did so :)

If you want a saner discussion, I'd suggest using 'please' words and
smileys sometimes; the tone is often taken as aggressive when people
of foreign language try to speak English as a common language.

Cheers,

--
Sylvain