Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: GNU Planet and Savannah

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: GNU Planet and Savannah
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:36:51 +0100

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 08:05:07PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     If you really need to increase the polling [...]
>
> I feel like I missed some previous part of the thread, but I'd just like
> to reiterate that there is no need to check savannah for GNU project
> news items more than once a day.  Ibiblio only gets updated once a day,
> so mirrors aren't more up to date than that anyway.

I think getting the news fast has 2 advantages:

- news submitters see the effect of their news submission on
  planet.gnu.org quickly; this is motivation

- news readers use RSS to get notifications quickly, so adding a 24h
  delay spoils the fun.

Note that not all Savannah news are about releases, so the mirrors
availability (when people actually make the effort of using them :/)
is not always criticial.

One a day sounds quite long. One an hour (current) sounds acceptable,
but if Nacho wants to increase the refresh rate, there's probably
demand for a more responsive system?

Which make realize: we didn't consider a 'push' or 'notification'
solution to replace the brute-force 'poll'.

Nacho, do you know about anything that already exists in that regard?
Trackbacks maybe?

--
Sylvain