Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Setting up bzr+ssh on Savannah.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Setting up bzr+ssh on Savannah.
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:03:23 -0700

Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> writes:
>>> move the bzr service to the 'vcs-noshell' VM (instead of the current
>>> 'sftp' VM) - so you don't disable SFTP access to the download area.
>>
>> I didn't quite understand what you mean, sorry.  Can you expand it a
>> little?  What exactly is the "download area" and how would it disable
>> SFTP access to it if bzr didn't move to vcs-noshell?  I realize the
>> answers are probably obvious to you, but I'm still learning how this
>> system is set up...
>
>Do you understand that all sftp-based services are managed by the
>'sftp' VM?

Yes, I think I understand that.  Just to confirm: I can see that cvs,
hg, git, and svn, are all on the same virtual machine at
nsavannah3.gnu.org (140.186.70.72) -- the 'vcs-noshell' VM -- whereas
bzr.sv.gnu.org is on nsavannah4.gnu.org (140.186.70.73), which is
presumably 'sftp'.

What I don't know is, what is the proper way to migrate bzr services to
vcs-noshell?  It seems to me like these steps are needed:

  1) Install bzr and loggerhead on vcs-noshell
  2) Copy over /srv/bzr/* from sftp.
  3) Test bzr and loggerhead access with the configuration described in [1]
  4) Coordinate a flag day with all current bzr users.  Document how
     bzr+ssh:// access will differ from sftp:// .
  5) On the flag day, re-sync the latest /srv/bzr data from sftp to
     vcs-noshell.  This can be done using bzr itself; there is no need
     to make the old data read-only, since people can just re-push any
     changes.  The point of the flag day is just to give them a date
     for which they know to re-check that changes got ported.
  7) Configure DNS so bzr.sv.gnu.org points to the vcs-noshell machine
  8) Tell everyone the switchover is done, remind them to check that any
     changes they pushed after the flag day are in the right place, and
     to re-push if not.

Before I ask more questions about any of the steps, is the above roughly
right?  I could be completely misunderstanding what's needed here...

Thanks,
-Karl

[1]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00027.html