[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #705563] many messages missing from m

From: Ward Vandewege via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #705563] many messages missing from mail archives
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:15:44 -0400

> [karl - Fri Aug 26 19:05:52 2011]:
>
> > The obvious place to start looking for false positives would be in
> > /spam/ on lists, where the last 60 days of SA-tagged spam that
> > reaches lists is kept.
>
> > Karl, you can access that directory now.
>
> User list on lists can ls /spam itself, but not any of the
> subdirectories where the actual content is:
>
> lists:~$ ls /spam/lwip-users-bounces+mal1110=163.com
> ls: cannot open directory /spam/lwip-users-bounces+mal1110=163.com:
> Permission denied
>
> .. although user list is in the Debian-exim group, there is no
> group-rx permissions on the subdirs, they are 700:
> drwx------ 5 Debian-exim Debian-exim 4096 Aug 26 12:03 lwip-users-
> bounces+mal1110=163.com
>
> So ... help?

OK, fixed that.

> > do not want to go back to the bad old 'lists is sending lots of
> spam' days.
>
> Just to be clear that we're on the same page: of course not.  Nobody
> wants that or is suggesting anything that would cause it.

Sure. I'm just trying to make sure we know the extent of the problem
before we start making drastic changes. The current setup stops 5000
spams from hitting mailman, every day.

Changing that would have serious consequences in terms of processing
time - both for lists itself, and for the people who look at quarantine
queues.

Given that we have heard zero complaints about missing messages since
this configuration went in production in the spring, I really want to
know just how many false positives there are. I think/hope there are
very few. But, we should find out for sure.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <address@hidden>