[Savannah-hackers-public] vcs load

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] vcs load
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 18:23:15 GMT

For the record ... on vcs, in /etc/xinetd.d, I've just changed svn and
cvspserver and git-cvspserver to invoke their daemons with nice+timeout,
as we have done already with bzr and git.  There were tons of stale
svnserve processes (I killed them), and I noticed the psserver processes
were often near the top of the list.

It looks like gitweb is the biggest frequent resource consumer now.
Will see about nicing that.  However, I have a feeling that since vcs
supports so many projects, and vc is an intrinsically resource-intensive
operation, we're not going to be able to get rid of all the high loads.
Unless perhaps the disk I/O can be somehow be configured better at a low
level; I don't know about that.  The virtualization setup is not
something I am familiar with.

I suspect the timeouts people are seeing on frontend are actually due to
high loads on vcs.