Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit

From: Aljosha Papsch
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:47:47 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 08.09.2013, 22:53 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:
> You're right.  Well, it still seems wrong to me to specify
> background-color without foreground color, but since we haven't received
> complaints about it, I guess no one uses white on black any more.  In
> any event, this doesn't need to be different than Savannah.css.  For
> that matter, I wonder if we could just use Savannah.css.

If we were to use Savannah.css we would gain a big overhead of rules,
while not getting rid of local.css since we still want to (I guess)
apply some rules to ikiwiki specific stuff.

Additionally, I don't see Savannah.css changing regularly or at all, so
imo it won't hurt having a seperate CSS file.

> Other comments:
>
>     font-family: sans-serif;
>
> Why?  If someone prefers serif fonts, I see no reason to override their
> choice.

Savannah.css uses "arial,helvetica", which are sans-serif fonts.
Therefore, we should also use a sans-serif font in local.css, for
consistency reasons.  "sans-serif" (the CSS value) is a compromise
between consistency and user choice (the user might still want to use
another sans-serif font).

>     h1 {
>         border-bottom: 2px solid black;
>     }
>
> Not sure what we're gaining by underlining titles (at least I'm
> supposing that is the effect).

I took this from various Savannah sites, where the main header is
underlined, to mark it visually as the main header. For example:

https://savannah.gnu.org/my/groups.php
https://savannah.gnu.org/my/
... and others

For the underline to be visually correct, only one h1 tag should be used
on a wiki page (I saw multiple on the front wiki page).

>     blockquote {
>         font-style: italic;
>     }
>
> I know this was done sometimes in other css's for quoting email, but I
> think writing lots of text in italic is just wrong.

How about a left border then, like some MUAs do it?

> Besides, <blockquote> is used for a variety of things.

This is a semantic mistake, and should be avoided, imho.  If we are
going to keep the mistake, the blockquote CSS rule should be removed.

>     pre {
>         background-color: #fffca8;
>
> I know the old wiki printed code blocks on a colored background, but it
> always seemed ugly and pointless to me.

I would keep a slight tone (maybe #ffffdd).  This way, when skimming a
page, you better memorize where the code blocks are (imo). So when
coming back to the page, e.g. for a forgotten command, you don't have to
start poking around the sentences, but just scroll down to the second or
so colored box.

> Will await your comments before installing ...
>
> Best,
> Karl

Best regards.

--