[Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:51:56 GMT

Hi again.  I believe I've finally got our ikiwiki working as intended;
that is, a commit to administration's svn repository should cause the
wiki pages to be automatically updated (synchronously, no cron).  I'm
talking about this source repository:
https://savannah.gnu.org/svn/?group=administration

I wrote down some details on how it works (and how to modify the
configuration, and how it all works, and how I set it up initially)
here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToAdminThisWiki/

At least for the time being, I propose not enabling web editing.
Granted it would be a convenience for minor changes, I have two major
concerns about it:
1) security.  All our problems came about because the original zwiki was
cracked.  Any web-interface editing is going to be more likely to be
vulnerable than editing through the source repository, like any other
sources.
2) technicalities.  Our setup had to be unusual to work with a
repository on one host (vcs) and the wiki pages on another (frontend).
That is why it has taken me so long to get this going (I wrote down a
bunch of stuff on the above page, so you can see).  I don't doubt that
it is possible, but I imagine it will take a lot of additional effort,
and I need to start spending my time on other projects now.

At any rate, overall, I can say it has been great to be able to just
grep the files and otherwise operate normally in Unix fashion.

Now I hope we can turn to actually improving and updating the content,
which is what is most important, after all.

Aljoscha, when you want me to look at your css again, let me know.  (I
trust you got my comment about color setting.)

Hope it flies,
karl