Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ftp.gnu.org directory listing omits latest

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ftp.gnu.org directory listing omits latest gcl release [Re: gcl-2.6.10 availability]
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 22:27:47 GMT

Hi Camm,

    cc'ing savannah to see if they can address this.

Nope ... ftp.gnu.org is not related to savannah and we have no access to
it; address@hidden takes cares of it.

However, I don't think there is actually a problem in this case:

    the ftp server is apparently truncating the directory list,

gcl-2.6.10.tar.gz does appears at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/
-- right after gcl-2.5.3.tar.gz, more or less in the middle of the list.

    which is unfortunate given the default sort order places the latest
    release at the bottom.

No, the default sort order is alphabetical (and not numeric, hence the
well-known problem of "10" sorting before "2").

    A likely workaround is to move some files into
    the old subdirectory.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Also: http://ftp.gnu.org is preferred over ftp://ftp.gnu.org --
http is more efficient, more likely to work, provides more information,
etc.

Also: http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gcl is preferred over ftp.gnu.org, to spread
the load (and likely be faster, for anyone not topologically near the
FSF server).

best,
karl