Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ftp.gnu.org directory listing omits latest

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ftp.gnu.org directory listing omits latest gcl release [Re: gcl-2.6.10 availability]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:12:21 GMT

Hi Camm,

    thought that this would also have the benefit of a default numerical
    sort order, which seems more intuitive, but this appears to
    fluctuate with the random mirror selected.

Yes, all mirrors are independently owned & operated & configured :).

    I do know the page is read automatically by notification scripts,
    including the debian package watch script.

Watch scripts should not care about the presentation order.  However,
those scripts, as opposed to downloaders, should certainly use
ftp.gnu.org itself, not a mirror.  After all, mirrors can fail to mirror
for many reasons.  It wouldn't be good for them to depend on that.

Personally, I would suggest using rsync in preference to http in
preference to ftp for watch purposes.  But whatever.
rsync ftp.gnu.org::gnu/gcl/

karl