Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] extraneous file on my recent Wiki commit

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] extraneous file on my recent Wiki commit
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 15:39:34 -0700

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
> >     I am using git-svn for my sandbox.  It works well for me.
> >
> >My thought was that if Assaf was also using it, the git layer may have
> >contributed to the case-insensitive filename problem.

(chuckle.)  But you missed that *I* wasn't having case insensitivity
issues.  In my sandbox the files were different files.  That should
lead one to conclude that it wasn't git-svn affecting this issue. :-)

> I was/am using svn directly, like so:
>
>     svn co svn+ssh://address@hidden/administration/
>     <...>
>     svn update
>     <...>
>     svn diff
>     svn commit

I think that is fine.  Use the interface you like using the best.  If
that is svn then please continue.  Same for git-svn.  Your choice.

> Is switching to git-svn preferred ?

No.  There is no recommendation.  Use whatever workflow you wish.

The nice thing about git-svn is that it allows people like me who like
git to use a workflow in git that I like while allowing people like
Karl who likes svn to use svn in his workflow.  The two of us can
co-exist without conflict.  The result of the work is the same.  I
daresay it would be difficult for someone to detect by looking at the
svn repository that I am using git-svn on my side.

I would recommend using a case sensitive file system.  One with all of
the POSIX capabilities.  That would simply avoid problems since that
is a mainstream file system.  But GNU projects have long helped out
ports to other systems.  I don't have any problem avoiding file names
that differ only by case in the documentation.  I think that would be
a good idea regardless.  Having two files differing only by case seems
like a confusing thing and should be avoided.  If you wish to continue
to be the canary using a case insensitive file system and reporting
and dealing with those problems I think that is great.

Bob