Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Quote from Savannah regarding GNU Ethical

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Quote from Savannah regarding GNU Ethical Repository Criteria for Announcement
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:53:23 +0100

Dear Assaf and others,

FYI, the press release for the ethical repository criteria is in it's final stages, and the planned release is for Friday.

Below is the relevant section containing the quote from I took from the web resources you linked to. Could you just confirm that it is OK for release and representative of your goals?

Savannah, a code hosting service run by the FSF that has also passed the criteria “host[s] projects for the sake of the ideals of freedom and community that the free software movement stands for”, with the website adding that “[t]he space given to you on this server is given for the expressed purpose of advancing free software”.

(If you are interested, the full text of the press release in its current form can be viewed in my message to the repo-criteria-discuss list.)

Kind regards,
Andrew

On 1 April 2016 at 04:05, Assaf Gordon <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Andrew,

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 15:30, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Why is it important that Savannah passes the ethical repository criteria?

As stated on the Savannah website ( https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php ):
"The space given to you on this server is given for the expressed purpose of advancing free software that can run in free operating systems, documenting such software, or creating free educational textbooks".
With this policy, we ensure code hosted on Savannah promote the GNU philosophy ( http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html ) .

more details about specific issues relating to the 'ethical repository criteria' can be found on the Savannah Wiki pages:
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ProjectApproval/
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/GnuGplTwoOrLater/
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/LicensingRequirements/

You are welcomed to quote text from those resources as well.

> What advice would you give to other code hosting repositories that have not passed the criteria and / or do not view it as something important?
>
> Why are the issues raised in the criteria important and / or relevant today for users of code repository services?
>
> Any other comments you have about Savannah and the ethical repository criteria?

I humbly think Savannah is currently in no position to give advice or suggestions to other hosting services.

regards,
  - assaf