Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please allow non-fast forward updates or j

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please allow non-fast forward updates or just delete aspell.git
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 03:13:03 -0500

Hi,

On 12/04/2016 01:33 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Kevin Atkinson wrote:
I am working on importing an ancient CVS repo.  I pushed a test git repo but
now I can't update it.

That is just to prevent malicious activities.  Unfortunately we live
in that age and we need security.  There is a lot of discussion about
making that only for the master branch.  But as with many things it
hasn't been implemented yet.

Can you please just allow non-fast forward updates or just delete
git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/aspell.git.  If you just delete it I won't publish
to savannah until it is ready.

Done.  I can see that all of the history has been in cvs and you
appear to be converting from cvs to git.  I unlocked the git
repository for you.  I opened a ticket so that I won't forget to come
back sometime later and restore the non-fast-forward once your
conversion is finished.

If we can help further with the conversion let us know.

It is going to be a while before things stabilize. And even when they do I am going to want to forced updates on topic branches. So if you could leave it unlocked for the time being (or at least until you can make it only for the master branch) it will be appreciated.

Also, I would like to request two additional git repositories for my project. (if you want to to submit a support request instead, let me know):

0) Description for the main repo can be just "GNU Aspell"

1) aspell-lang: this will be the git repo for the aspell-lang module in CVS. I guess you can describe it as "GNU Aspell Language Toolkit".

2) aspell-cvs: this is the real conversion from CVS. The conversion is a mess and I may redo it several times so I don't wan't to base commits off of it, instead I intend to use via graft points. You can describe it as "GNU Aspell CVS Conversion".

Please also leave (1) and (2) open for non-fast-forward updates. For (2) no data will ever be lost as that will be a straight conversion from CVS with no new commits, but I might redo it from time to time (which is why it is not part of the main repo.)

Thanks,
Kevin