Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please allow non-fast forward updates or j

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Please allow non-fast forward updates or just delete aspell.git
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 03:04:33 -0700

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> It is going to be a while before things stabilize.

There is no hurry from our end.

> And even when they do I am going to want to forced updates on topic
> branches.  So if you could leave it unlocked for the time being (or
> at least until you can make it only for the master branch) it will
> be appreciated.

It is a feature that we would like to have available.  It just needs
the right hook script to implement it.

> Also, I would like to request two additional git repositories for my
> project.  (if you want to to submit a support request instead, let me know):

We are happy to create sub-project repositories.  They will be grouped
into a subdirectory.  Here is the admin docs on what happens on the
server side of things.

  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git/

> 0) Description for the main repo can be just "GNU Aspell"
>
> 1) aspell-lang: this will be the git repo for the aspell-lang module in CVS.
> I guess you can describe it as "GNU Aspell Language Toolkit".
>
> 2) aspell-cvs: this is the real conversion from CVS.  The conversion is a
> mess and I may redo it several times so I don't wan't to base commits off of
> it, instead I intend to use via graft points.  You can describe it as "GNU
> Aspell CVS Conversion".

Done.  You now have:

  /srv/git/aspell.git
  /srv/git/aspell/aspell-lang.git
  /srv/git/aspell/aspell-cvs.git

> Please also leave (1) and (2) open for non-fast-forward updates.  For (2) no
> data will ever be lost as that will be a straight conversion from CVS with
> no new commits, but I might redo it from time to time (which is why it is
> not part of the main repo.)

Okay.

Bob