Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project tops showing old files

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project tops showing old files
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:11:51 -0600

Hello Dale,

Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Newest files for project tops are showing as 2 months old.
>
> Let me dig into the problem.

This pains me greatly because I hate it when there is a snafu and even
worse when I am the root cause of it.  Yes there was a problem.  It
was not from the most recent move of cvs data and services.  It was
from the *previous* move of cvs data and services.  It appears I made
a mistake in the previous move in getting the data sync'd.

The timeline goes that I moved the back end storage from the old vcs
server to the new nfs1.  That appeared to work until it was discovered
that file ACLs were not functioning.  To make those work again I
rolled things back from nfs1 back to the old vcs server.  Apparently
that is where the data sync was not successful and I did not catch it.
Things sat like that for a while but there is a datacenter move soon
and that old server is being phased out.  Therefore we created a new
node vcs1 as a standalone system and everything just recently moved to
vcs1 so that the old vcs could be shutdown.  The most recent move
appears correct but it was the previous one that was incomplete.

For your tops project it appears things can be cleaned up without more
problems.  I sync'd it from the previous nfs1 version which held all
of your recent commits.  Please try it again and verify that things
are okay for you.

But means I have a big problem to sort out.  I don't think any commits
have been completely lost for any project.  But there may be a
split-brain problem for some projects.  Sigh.  Hopefully only a very
few.  It is too late tonight to do more now.  I will work through the
problems tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Bob