Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:35:10 +0200

> Why not simply use a reference repository?
>
>   git clone --mirror git://git.gnu.org/emacs.git ~/emacs-reference
>
> And when cloning:
>
>   git clone --reference ~/emacs-reference git://git.gnu.org/emacs.git
>
> the ~/emacs-reference place can be accessible where ever you are using
> it.  This will work incrementally, and not use up scares resources..

Thanks, good idea I didn't know about it. I don't know how well
`--reference` will cope with diverged branches, but I'll run some test.

Before that I used a script of mine
https://gitlab.com/Silex777/docker-emacs/-/blob/master/bin/git-sync that
did the appropriate thing between clone and update to a tag/branch.

Regards,
Philippe