Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Emacs git repository clone limits
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 11:57:55 +0200

> > I understand your reasoning.  And if this were an infrastructure at,
> > say, Amazon AWS EC2, setup to be elastic and just scaled out then your
> > reasoning would be totally on target.  Increased load would scale out
> > to more parallel resources.  It is more typical to have a load
> > balancer in front of http/https protocol servers and so those can be
> > set up rather straight forward.  And also load balancers could be set
> > up in front of git:// protocol server too.
> >
> > However the GNU Project is dedicated and directed to using only Free
> > Software.  And is hosted in this goal by the FSF.  Which means
> > everything is self-hosted.  Funded by the annual fund raising from
> > donors just like all of us who donate funding.  And resources are
> > limited.
>
> I want to just chime in and say that from my perspective, limited
> resources is the biggest issue.
>
> Please don't clone emacs from Savannah as part of an automated process
> that runs regularly. Setup a mirror or multiple mirrors that get
> incremental updates.

I got your message loud and clear. Please remember these parralel
clones only happen like once per month, but I get your point.

The FSF resources are limited so I'll do my best to hit the git repo
only when necessary, with a local clone or another method (I was
thinking I could build some images using the .tar.xz bundle instead).

Kind regards,
Philippe