[Savannah-hackers] Re: mail aliases on savannah.gnu.org

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: mail aliases on savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:14:48 +0100 (CET)

Jeff Bailey writes:
 > On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 10:49:37PM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:
 >
 > >        At first I did not realize that it was needed to have an true
 > > alias file mapping each savannah login account to the real mail
 > > address, even if this is not an address visible to the outside
 > > world. The recent mail notification problems told me otherwise ;-)
 > >
 > >        It seems fairly harmless to me to re-create an alias file that
 > > is included in /etc/aliases each time a user create himself an account
 > > or changes its e-mail address. We are dealing with a reasonable number
 > > of accounts (~160 at present).
 >
 > The problem is that the emails come from @gnu.org.  This needs be changed
 > to @savannah.gnu.org for this theory to work.

 I'd like to point that the aliases files will only be used for
outgoing mails and never for incoming mails. Unless someone in
system-hackers is ready to deal with all the issues related to having
a public address@hidden relay to the actual mail adresses of
foo, I prefer to disable this facility.

 Why is it useful to have an alias file for address@hidden that is
only used for outgoing mails ? Mainly because when the Savannah code has
to store the email adress of someone it does it in this form and expects
the aliases file to always be up-to-date. You may see exemples of this
in the code that handles support requests.

 Cheers,