Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: commonc++ integrated to http://savannah.gnu.o

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: commonc++ integrated to http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/commonc++/
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:24:06 -0500

Loic Dachary wrote:

 You can create modules under subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/commoncpp (it
currently only have one module named commoncpp). If these modules can be
considered as experimental or closely related to Common C++ and all under
GPL this won't be a problem at all. You can use the repository as a work
area for Common C++ related work, it's the intended purpose of Savannah &
subversions.

That is perfect, matches this case exactly, and is exactly what I want to do cvs-wise.

 Now if you want to distribute separate packages for those modules it's a
different matter and you need to discuss it with address@hidden in order
to make sure they fit in the GNU system.

Since we do not have distribution/updating of the ftp work directory integrated into savannah currently, this is not an issue as yet. And I do think you are correct, that either such additional packages ultimately need to be individually designated as part of GNU; merge into/become part of the Common C++ package itself; or are simply re-distributed elsewhere.

This also suggests that when you do have package distribution working, it perhaps would have a somewhat different and much simpler mechanics than what we find on SourceForge today. Since GNU packages are generally only distributed on ftp.gnu.org as a tarball rather than with various source and binary "packaging" formats, and in that normally there is only one tarball to deal with per package for any given release, much of the complexity in "later" versions of the SourceForge "package distribution" forms can probably go away entirely.

Based on my own experiance with SourceForge, what I would love to see for software distribution is a simple index page that showed what tarballs are currently in the ftp directory for a given package with some additional options and buttons on the page for the package maintainers to use. I would also love a mechanically simpler one page form and single step submit to generate and distribute a new package tarball release. Finally, it would be useful to allow a package maintainer to selectivily designate prior releases for "archiving", to be able to revoke an active release if nessisary, etc.

David