Re: [Savannah-hackers] Problems with CVS Web interface

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Problems with CVS Web interface
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:05:18 +0100

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 01:01:58AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Christoph Conrad writes:
>  > On
>  >
>  > <http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/>
>  >
>  > Python Exception Occurred
>  >
>  > Traceback (innermost last):
>  >   File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/viewcvs", line 2249, in ?
>  >     main()
>  >   File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/viewcvs", line 2216, in main
>  >     view_directory(request)
>  >   File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/viewcvs", line 1012, in view_directory
>  >     file_data = get_file_data(full_name)
>  >   File "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/viewcvs", line 643, in get_file_data
>  >     files = os.listdir(full_name)
>  > OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
>  >

>       Hi,
>
>       This is normal. The emacs CVS repository is not world visible.
> However, the viewcvs should show a nicer error message, IMHO. Comments
> Jaime ?-)

Hi,
In this case I prefer the way cvsweb handles the problem: It does not show
non-readable files in a list of files.

Consider for example "gnueval" in the old GNU cvs repository: webcvs does
not show it in the general list of the repository
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/) because it is protected, while
viewcvs shows it in the list
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/?cvsroot=OldCVS) but when you click
on it you get an error because it is not accessible.

This is related to the other problem of viewcvs reported recently in this
lists (it breaks down with non-existent symbolic links): cvsweb ignores the
non-existent link, while viewcvs crashes with it.

I don't know if the author of cvsview is aware of  these bugs; I will report
them anyway. In the meantime I will try to write a patch for viewcvs and at
the same time I will write a configuration file for cvsweb to handle the 3
CVS repositories in the same fashion that viewcvs is doing it in Savannah;
viewcvs was supposed to be more robust than cvsweb, and that's why we changed
to it, but If we keep finding bugs, we might be better off sticking to cvsweb.

Jaime