[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package
Date: 09 Apr 2001 18:59:42 -0400

> Submitter: <address@hidden>
> Project Full Name:  Keep in Touch
> Project Unix Name:  kit
> License:  gpl
> Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=138
> messenger - it supports its own XML based protocol aswell as ICQ and
> AIM (Adding new protocols i.e. jabber is mostly a question of
> implementing the protocol itself - the client has a good framework
> for multiple protocols). The goal of the project is to allow uses to
> communicate sensitive issues securely without having to worry about
> their data being intercepted by an attacker.
>
> The reason for doing yet another project (actually, it predates most
> - but it&#039;s been laying dormant for quite some time) is that
> bolted on security as an afterthought rarely creates a secure enough
> system. It&#039;s written entirely using C++ and only depends on
> code that is GPLed or freeer. The architecture is fairly extensible
> and it&#039;s reasonably easy to add new modules. It could possibly
> be used as a foundation for the GNU GLUE project, if it seems
> reasonable to do so to the people involved in that project.
>
> Current status is that basic messaging aswell as presence detection
> for all 3 supported protocols is working, but more advanced features
> (aswell as implementation of security features) needs to be worked
> on.

We have received a request to evaluate your software to be included in
the GNU Project.

Thank you very much for your offer.

We will complete this evaluation as soon as possible, but the team of
evaluators is made out of volunteers, so sometimes this could mean
weeks.

During the course of the evaluation you might be contacted by one or
more software evaluators asking you different kind of questions, or
maybe even making suggestions.

The last word about your softwares becoming part of the GNU Project or
not is from Richard M. Stallman himself, we just help him clear
technical and licensing issues.

Please send an URL to get the source code, and licensing terms.

- --
Hugo Gayosso
GNU Software Evaluators
Coordinator