[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] oje want to be a GNU package

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] oje want to be a GNU package
Date: 09 Apr 2001 20:11:06 -0400

> Submitter: <address@hidden>
> Project Full Name:  open java extensions
> Project Unix Name:  oje
> License:  other
> Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=139
> versions of Sun&#039;s java extensions.
>
> Sun has a 2 levels of Java code. The java library is &quot;core
> java&quot; and is (roughly) what is delivered with Sun&#039;s Java
> platform download. This is also what the Classpath project is
> developing a free version of.
>
> The second layer is the javax layer. This includes many different,
> unrelated libraries. Sun group some of these libraries into an
> Enterprise Java product but that&#039;s a marketing distinction
> rather than a technical one.
>
> For example, one library is the javamail library. This is
> distributed under the name javax.mail. and is an abstract API for
> representing internet (and other) mail. Along with the javamail API
> Sun distribute some implementations of the API that are based on
> SMTP, POP and IMAP respectively.
>
> The OJE project is in the business of developing free versions of as
> many of these libraries as possible.
>
> The project was started at sourceforge by Andrew Selkirk
> (address@hidden) but Andrew has burned himself out a bit
> and has asked me (a contributor to the project) if I would be
> willing to suggest to GNU that it become part of this project.
>
> The existing OJE project contains finished, or near finished
> implementations of:
>
> - JAXP
> - Javamail
> - activation
> - infobus
>
> You may ask: why should this not be in the Classpath project?
> Here&#039;s some reasons why not:
>
> - the amount of code in the OJE could easily double the size of the
> Classpath project
>
> - Classpath requires copyright assignment and that might not be
> appropriate for OJE
>
> - the projects are functionally seperate
>
> - a seperation is not problematic because subversions can be used to
> tie the two CVS trees together if necessary
>
> The API deliverables of the project will be LGPL licenced. The
> implementation deliverables of the project will be GPL licenced as
> much as possible.

We have received a request to evaluate your software to be included in
the GNU Project.

Thank you very much for your offer.

We will complete this evaluation as soon as possible, but the team of
evaluators is made out of volunteers, so sometimes this could mean
weeks.

During the course of the evaluation you might be contacted by one or
more software evaluators asking you different kind of questions, or
maybe even making suggestions.

The last word about your softwares becoming part of the GNU Project or
not is from Richard M. Stallman himself, we just help him clear
technical and licensing issues.

Please send an URL where we can get the source code and the licensing
term.

- --
Hugo Gayosso
GNU Software Evaluators