[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] oje want to be a GNU package

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] oje want to be a GNU package
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:10:43 -0400

This sounds like a useful program.  I don't see a problem with keeping it
seperate from Classpath----that makes sense, if there is a clear division
of functionality and development, and it sounds like there is.

I just a two issues, concerning the name:

  * I don't know if we can use the name "Java" in the name of the program.
    One of the reasons I originally suggested the name of Classpath was
    because we couldn't name it JDK, due to Java's trademark.  (Historical
    note: I originally suggested $CLASSPATH, and RMS said it would look
    better as just "Classpath".  My idea was $CLASSPATH expands to
    something that has "JDK" in the name anyway ;)

    So, we should probably find a name that doesn't have "Java" in the
    name.  If you can't think of one, I can check with our laywer about
    whether or not we can get away with it or not.

  * The word "open" is reminiscent the Open Source Movement, and since, as
    you know, we are part of the Free Software Movement.  So, it would be
    good if used the word "free" or "freedom" instead of open.  What do
    you think?

Finally, of course you'll need to agree to the GNU policies, but you've
already seen those and agreed for other projects, so I'd presume that
you'd be agreeable here as well.  Is that correct?

Also, Andrew, are you agreeable to them as well?  I realize that you
likely won't be actively working on it anymore for a while, but you should
be agreeable too.

Here are the details for Andrew's benefit, as he may not have seen them:

To make your program into GNU software
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#GNUsoftware), you will first
need to agree to follow GNU policies.  I have included a brief summary of
the major policies with this message.  For a more detailed description,
please read the GNU Maintainers Guide
(http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html).

--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Vice President
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942