[Savannah-hackers] Re: exim configuration

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: exim configuration
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:08:53 -0400

   Ad Joel pointed out, setting trusted_groups seemed the best solution to
   solve the bounce problem. So I had set in /etc/exim/exim.conf (new
   location on latest Debian packages)

Why, oh why, oh why, does Debian insist upon moving config files
around every year?

   trusted_groups =
mifluz:webmifluz:savannah:websavannah:libtool:weblibtool:autoconf:webautoconf:hurd:webhurd:gnue:inetutils:mailutils:dejagnu:cons:www

   But, for an unknown it did not work. Josip was still getting bounces
   althought he is in the www group.

Have you tried anything else to isolate the problem?

address@hidden can use -f just fine; if I do this to send a
message with the sender as address@hidden

address@hidden:~> /usr/sbin/sendmail -f address@hidden address@hidden
test
.
address@hidden:~>

Then from on my home mail server does indeed list address@hidden
as being the sender.

xanthine:~$ from
>From address@hidden Mon Apr 30 12:04:44 2001
xanthine:~$

although I guess I did this test after you did the
untrusted_set_sender = true thing.

   Therefore, I tried to set the trusted_users to *, but Exim did not seem
   to support this. So I've ended up setting :

   untrusted_set_sender = true

   (which is not very good)

Why do you think this is not a good idea?  You can forge mail quite
convincingly by opening a tcp connection directly rather than sending
mail through exim, regardless of the trusted_users settings, and I
don't think trusted_users has any effects other than setting the
envelope from.