[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package
Date: 14 May 2001 20:41:17 -0400

Henrik Abelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 9 Apr 2001, Hugo Gayosso wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > We have received a request to evaluate your software to be included in
> > the GNU Project.
> >
> > Thank you very much for your offer.
> >

> Hello! I'm very sorry for the late reply - i've been on a easter trip with
> family.

Don't worry, we are pretty backlogged ourselves. :-)

> I'm not sure you'll want kit in the state it's now - but i'm willing
> to change what's needed to accommodate GNU needs..

Excellent, please take a look at:

GNU Coding Standards.
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html>

and

Information For Maintainers of GNU Software
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>

> There's a couple of evil things that kit does (to save you the time
> of discovering them yourselves)
>
> * It depends on the horrible Qt toolkit (soon the gui will be
> cleanly abstracted away from the protocol implementation, so
> alternative frontends could be written without too much pain).

I think this is really something to fix.

> * It's poorly documented. Read: hardly anything.

There is a section about documentation in the coding standards, please
take a look.  (Texinfo is not difficult)

I will add your comments to the evaluation entry, thanks!

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso
Support the Free Software