[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package

From: Henrik Abelsson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah] kit want to be a GNU package
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:44:01 +0200 (CEST)

On 14 May 2001, Hugo Gayosso wrote:

> Henrik Abelsson <address@hidden> writes:
>

> Don't worry, we are pretty backlogged ourselves. :-)

I know the feeling :)

> > I'm not sure you'll want kit in the state it's now - but i'm willing
> > to change what's needed to accommodate GNU needs..
>
> Excellent, please take a look at:
>
> GNU Coding Standards.
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html>

Everything except some of the code formatting advice i like :)

> and
>
> Information For Maintainers of GNU Software
> <http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>

Hmm.. interesting issues you/we have to deal with to keep code Free.

> > * It depends on the horrible Qt toolkit (soon the gui will be
> > cleanly abstracted away from the protocol implementation, so
> > alternative frontends could be written without too much pain).
>
> I think this is really something to fix.

It's been fixed now, as promised :). The protocol implementations
are now completely separate from the frontend guis. We have a console, a
Qt and a wxWindows/GTK+ client in various stages of completion.

Much of the client code has basically been rewritten from scratch to be
much cleaner and portable.

> > * It's poorly documented. Read: hardly anything.
>
> There is a section about documentation in the coding standards, please
> take a look.  (Texinfo is not difficult)

I'll take a look at the gnu standards and see how much needs to be done to
make it compliant.

Thank you very much,
-henrik