[Savannah-hackers] Re: XPHP3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XPHP3
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:58:26 -0600 (MDT)

    > Also, I was looking for some insight into what GNU has in mind for
    > XPHP3. Personally, I feel a PHP4 work alike is a proper goal since
    > Zend can pull the pull the plug on php4 quite easily.
    >
    > But I'd like to hear your views.

    I think that Savannah-hackers can go ahead and approve the project,
    unless RMS has any concern.

Yes, let's do it.

    > Which would leave us with three options:
    > a) rewrite alloc.c and alloc.h .
    > b) use alloc.c and alloc.h from 3.0.6
    > c) rollback to 3.0.6
    >
    > I'm up for anything. rewriting these files will truly make xphp3 our
    > own.

    I think you are more qualified to make the technical decision than me,
    the important thing is that we don't use the code with that
    restriction, specially when it is bound to a non-available license!
    (maybe now it is available, but it was not at that time).

Both a and b seem reasonable.  c could also be reasonable, but if you
are giving up a lot by doing that, a or b is probably better.

It's a technical decision, so do as you see fit.