[Savannah-hackers] Re: a dummy project to help create accounts

From: Mark H. Weaver
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: a dummy project to help create accounts
Date: 15 May 2001 19:47:10 -0400

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Should we have a dummy project that we add these accounts to? If I
> > > understand correctly, we are trying to move initial account creation to
> > > savannah, even if the user does not need savannah access.
>
> Mark H. Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I don't think so.  If they don't properly belong in any existing
> > projects, they really don't need a subversions account anyway.  In these
> > cases, you'll just need their SSH keys, which are available in
> > /subversions/sourceforge/dumps/accounts.txt.
>
> I am confused.  How does /subversions/sourceforge/dumps/accounts.txt get
> updated, other then by having someone create a savannah account via the
> web interface?
>
> And, can someone have a savannah account and be in no projects?

First, let me clarify the difference between having a savannah account
and having a subversions account.  Having a savannah account means
that you can log into to the web interface.  Having a subversions
account means that you have a line in /etc/passwd, a home directory,
etc.

Someone can indeed have a savannah account and be in no projects.
subversions accounts are only created for savannah accounts which are
in at least one project.

sysadmin.texi currently recommends that account-creation volunteers copy
SSH keys from the home directory on subversions.  However, this is only
possible if the user has been added to at least one project, and it also
requires the account-creation volunteer to have root on subversions.

I'll soon be updating sysadmin.texi to recommend getting the SSH keys
from /subversions/sourceforge/dumps/accounts.txt, which neither
requires root access, nor that the user has been added to a project.
Note that this file is only updated once per day.

> When all this gets worked out, please document this in detail in
> sysadmin.texi.

Will do.

        Mark